Monday, March 16, 2009

Video: Nail Trimming

I worked on conditioning my dogs to regard nail trimming as a positive event. I use a cordless mini Dremel tool with a sanding drum to trim nails, because with the black labs, it's hard to see the quick, and I have cut the quick in error in the past. At the start of our training, I used plenty of tasty treats as rewards, giving them a treat with each nail done. Doing this helped the dogs associate the nail trimming with good things, and now I can trim their nails with nothing more than a pleasant tone of voice and a happy attitude (of course treats are always welcome, too). As you will see, nail trimmings for our dogs are no big deal, very quick and easy.


Nail Trimming from sunjin on Vimeo




and when Penny cannot wait for me to trim her nails for her, she gets the dremel out and tries to do them herself. ;)

No comments: